09 April 2011

Jane Eyre (2011)

☻ ☻ Jane Eyre (2011). After all I've seen about this highly anticipated film, it was no surprise that I was in for a let-down. Yes, it's a good movie, but I found the film turned Charlotte Bronte's dark and brooding into slow and dithering.

Since many of us know the story, it seemed a little odd to have portrayed Jane (Mia Wasikowska) as young and pig-headed, Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender) as simply unpleasant, his ward Adèle (Romy Settbon Moore) as cheery but stupid and his mad wife (Valentina Cervi) as having anger-management issues. While I'm at it, I'd better come clean about the house and the weather. Dark and miserable. No wonder the whole lot weren't driven mad over the winter. Perhaps they should have been -- we would have seen a bit of excitement there.

Austere and grey sums it up. My idea of Gothic fiction involves emotion and interesting atmosphere, which this film lacks.



Speaking out:
  82%/81% rottentomatoes.com (9 Apr 2011*)
  7.9/10  imdb.com (9 Apr 2011*)

* * *
Note

Date of website access

No comments:

Post a Comment